Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day Seven--Fruit & Veggie Cleanse

As I mentioned in last night's post, one of Sarah Taylor's recommendations for becoming vegan was to take a 24-hour "fruit and veggie cleanse" where, for 24 hours, all you eat is fresh organic raw fruits and vegetables.  Some flavoring and some cooking is okay, but she wants us to stay as raw as possible.

So, I'm almost done with my 24 hours...and I have to say I'm glad it's almost over.  It was much harder than I expected--not so much that I was hungry, but I really had cravings.  I said yesterday that I wasn't really sure what the point of the cleanse was; I know at least one benefit I got from it--I realize just how dependent I am on grains, sweets, and "other stuff."


What did I eat?  Below is everything I put in my body today (aside from water)--everything (except for the teas, of course) was homemade...
   Breakfast: Banana, Green Tea, Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup (with flax seed)
   Snack: Apple
   Lunch: Sesame Kale & Onions
   Snack: Tomato, Celery, & Cucumber Salad (with some olive oil & balsamic vinegar), Peppermint Tea
   Dinner: Mixed Greens & Mushroom Salad (with some homemade mustard maple dressing)
   Snack: Fruit Salad, Peach Detox Tea

I hope to now be a bit more conscious of just how much "stuff" I eat aside from fruit and veggies.  While I know that grains, fats, and other things all need to be present in a healthy diet, I didn't realize quite how much they were a part of my daily intake...

I'm thinking about taking this cleanse one day a week to continually remind myself, but I'm not going to make that commitment quite yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment